EXEMESTANE is used in women who are past menopause for the treatment of:
- Early breast cancer (cancer that has not spread outside the breast) in women who:
- have cancer that needs the female hormone estrogen to grow, and
- have had other treatments for breast cancer, and
- have taken tamoxifen for 2 to 3 years, and
- are switching to EXEMESTANE to complete 5 years in a row of hormonal therapy.
- Advanced breast cancer (cancer that has spread) after treatment with tamoxifen, and it did not work or is no longer working.
It is not known if EXEMESTANE is safe and effective in children.
Do not take EXEMESTANE if you are allergic to EXEMESTANE or any of the ingredients in EXEMESTANE. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in EXEMESTANE.
Before you take EXEMESTANE, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- are still having menstrual periods (are not past menopause). EXEMESTANE is only for women who are past menopause.
- have weak or brittle bones (osteoporosis)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Taking EXEMESTANE during pregnancy or within 1 month of becoming pregnant can harm your unborn baby.
- Females who are able to become pregnant should have a pregnancy test within 7 days before starting treatment with EXEMESTANE.
- Females who are able to become pregnant should use effective birth control (contraceptive) during treatment with EXEMESTANE and for 1 month after your last dose of EXEMESTANE. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if EXEMESTANE passes into your breast milk. Do not breast-feed during treatment with EXEMESTANE and for 1 month after your last dose of EXEMESTANE.
- Have liver or kidney problems.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take medicines that contain estrogen, including other hormone replacement therapy or birth control pills or patches. EXEMESTANE should not be taken with medicines that contain estrogen as they could affect how well EXEMESTANE works.