DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
One dose (1 packet or 1 level teaspoon) of colestipol hydrochloride granules contains 5 grams of colestipol hydrochloride. The recommended daily adult dose is one to six packets or level scoopfuls given once or in divided doses. Treatment should be started with one dose once or twice daily with an increment of one dose/day at one- or two-month intervals. Appropriate use of lipid profiles as per NCEP guidelines including LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides is advised so that optimal, but not excessive doses are used to obtain the desired therapeutic effect on LDL-cholesterol level. If the desired therapeutic effect is not obtained at one to six doses/day with good compliance and acceptable side effects, combined therapy or alternate treatment should be considered.
To avoid accidental inhalation or esophageal distress, colestipol hydrochloride granules should not be taken in its dry form. Colestipol hydrochloride granules should always be mixed with water or other fluids before ingesting. Patients should take other drugs at least one hour before or four hours after colestipol hydrochloride granules to minimize possible interference with their absorption. (See PRECAUTIONS, Drug Interactions.)
Before Colestipol Hydrochloride Granules Administration
- Define the type of hyperlipoproteinemia, as described in NCEP guidelines.
- Institute a trial of diet and weight reduction.
- Establish baseline serum total and LDL-cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
During Colestipol Hydrochloride Granules Administration
- The patient should be carefully monitored clinically, including serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Periodic determinations of serum cholesterol levels as outlined in the NCEP guidelines should be done to confirm a favorable initial and longer-term response.
- Failure of total or LDL-cholesterol to fall within the desired range should lead one to first examine dietary and drug compliance. If these are deemed acceptable, combined therapy or alternate treatment should be considered.
- Significant rise in triglyceride level should be considered as indication for dose reduction, drug discontinuation, or combined or alternate therapy.
Mixing and Administration Guide
Colestipol hydrochloride granules should always be mixed in a liquid such as water or the beverage of your choice. It may also be taken in soups or with cereals or pulpy fruits. Colestipol hydrochloride granules should never be taken in its dry form.
- Add the prescribed amount of colestipol hydrochloride granules to a glassful (three ounces or more) of water or the beverage of your choice. A heavy or pulpy juice may minimize complaints relative to consistency.
- Stir the mixture until the medication is completely mixed. (Colestipol hydrochloride granules will not dissolve in the liquid.) Colestipol hydrochloride granules may also be mixed with carbonated beverages, slowly stirred in a large glass; however, this mixture may be associated with GI complaints.
Rinse the glass with a small amount of additional beverage to make sure all the medication is taken.