Calcium is the fifth most abundant element in the body and the major fraction is in the bony structure. Calcium plays important physiological roles, many of which are poorly understood. It is essential for the functional integrity of the nervous and muscular systems. It is necessary for normal cardiac function and is one of the factors that operates in the mechanisms involved in the coagulation of blood.
Calcium chloride in water dissociates to provide calcium (Ca++) and chloride (Cl¯) ions. They are normal constituents of the body fluids and are dependent on various physiological mechanisms for maintenance of balance between intake and output. Approximately 80% of body calcium is excreted in the feces as insoluble salts; urinary excretion accounts for the remaining 20%.